Mold Infection at UPMC Hospital in Pittsburgh PA Kills Three Patients
Three patients at UPMC Montefiore in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania have now died from a mold infection. UPMC Montefiore is next to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital. The first two patients who died were heart transplant patients. UPMC has shut down its cardiothoracic unit at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital where mold was discovered.
The law firm of Berger & Lagnese, LLC in Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit over a similar type of case against UPMC. In that case, the lawsuit claimed that hospital patients were infected while at the hospital with tuberculosis acquired from other patients at the hospital. The lawsuit claimed that an infected patient was in a special unit in the hospital that was built specially for infected patients such that the air conditioning system would not circulate to areas where other patients were located. The lawsuit claimed that the hospital's air conditioning system was not working properly and the infected air was transmitted to other patients in the hospital, who then acquired the disease and died.