A doctor fails to correctly diagnose your deadly breast cancer. A careless driver slams into your car, permanently injuring your spine. A piece of surgical equipment malfunctions during your cardiac operation, endangering your recovery. You shatter your hip in the poorly lit stairway of a hotel and accumulate a shoebox of medical bills. You become ill or die as a result of eating food that is infected with e coli bacteria.
Serving Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and all of Western Pennsylvania, our experienced team of lawyers specialize in serious medical malpractice cases, and personal injury cases that result from car or truck accidents, defective and dangerous products, industrial accidents, unsafe property, and food poisoning.
Medical malpractice cases are brought against doctors, hospitals, and other medical professionals to recover money damages for injuries or death caused by medical malpractice. The Institute of Medicine has found that between 44,000 and 98,000 people die in hospitals each year due to preventable medical errors.
Personal injury cases are brought to recover money damages for injuries or death caused by car or truck accidents; dangerous or defective products; food poisoning; construction accidents and other accidents caused by dangerous or unsafe property.
If you call Berger & Lagnese with your medical malpractice or personal injury case, we will get you the maximum monetary recovery possible, either through settlement or jury trial. We consistently obtain the maximum monetary recovery for our clients because we always investigate your case thoroughly; we obtain and carefully review your medical records; we interview all of the doctors, nurses, and other persons involved in causing your injuries, and we hire the top experts in the United States to review your case and and testify at trial.
We have helped hundreds of our clients obtain the maximum monetary recovery for their injuries.
For example, on November 2, 2011, Attorney Paul Lagnese obtained a jury verdict against UPMC Shadyside for $10,000,000. This is the largest medical malpractice verdict in Pittsburgh since the Pennsylvania Supreme Court began tracking verdicts in 2000 and the largest recorded verdict against UPMC.
Our cases have also made our world a little safer. Here are a few examples:
- Our client, a patient in a hospital, fell in his room and struck his head. The hospital did not perform an X-ray of his head to see whether there was internal bleeding. Two days later, the hospital performed a CT and found a massive bleed in our client’s head, but it was too late, and he died. We sued the hospital. The hospital argued that no CT was needed, but after we obtained a settlement of the case, the hospital enacted a policy requiring an immediate head CT for any patient who falls in the hospital and hits his head.
- During a carpal tunnel surgery, a surgeon severed our client’s nerve. We sued the hospital and discovered that the hospital knew before our client’s surgery that this surgeon had cut another patient’s nerve because the doctor was using a surgical method that was outdated and condemned in the medical literature. The jury returned a verdict of $669,000 for our client. That surgeon no longer performs carpal tunnel surgery.
- Our client was diagnosed with breast cancer that had spread throughout her body We filed a lawsuit and discovered that our client had a prior mammogram that was suspicious for breast cancer, but the hospital did nothing in response and did not tell our client. We obtained a monetary settlement for our client from the hospital.
- Our client was paralyzed in a car accident. We sued the manufacturer of the car and discovered that in order to save money the car company designed an unsafe car. We obtained a settlement for our client. That car is no longer being made.
- While driving, our client hit a stream of water flowing over a road and skidded out of control, dying in the crash. We sued the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. PennDOT argued that the road’s design was acceptable. We found a retired PennDOT employee who had told PennDOT that the road was dangerous and needed to be repaired a couple of years before the crash. The jury found PennDOT was negligent and awarded money to the parents of our client.
Medical Malpractice Cases
Our lawyers work on medical malpractice cases involving serious injuries or death.
We work on breast cancer cases involving breast cancer missed on mammogram or breast cancer misdiagnosis. These cases also include situations where breast tissue was removed for biopsy but the cancer was missed when it was evaluated.
We work on colon cancer cases including those in which colon cancer was missed on colonoscopy or a colon polyp was not properly evaluated after its removal.
We work on cases involving cervical cancer and endometrial (uterus) cancer, especially cases in which cervical cancer was missed on the Pap smear (Pap test).
We work on many medical malpractice cases involving a doctor's or hospital's failure to detect cancer or misdiagnosis of cancer, including bladder cancer, lung cancer, thyroid cancer, and skin and melanoma cancers.
We work on failure to diagnose cases, including the failure to diagnose and treat heart attack, pulmonary embolism (PE), stroke, aneurysm (abdominal and brain aneurysms), and many others.
Our lawyers also work on cerebral palsy cases. Each year, 5,000 infants and 1,200-1,500 toddlers are diagnosed with cerebral palsy – and many of these cases are due to preventable delays and careless mistakes made during birth and delivery.
Our lawyers work on many cases of surgical error or surgical mistake, including hernia surgery, gall bladder surgery, gastric bypass (bariatric weight loss) surgery, carpal tunnel surgery, and all types of laparoscopic surgery cases
Personal Injury Cases
Our lawyers work on personal injury cases involving serious injuries or death. These include car accident and truck accident cases; industrial accidents; dangerous and defective products; food poisoning; and accidents caused by dangerous or unsafe property
Contact our attorneys
The attorneys at Berger & Lagnese have been recognized as among the best lawyers in the United States.
Attorney Paul Lagnese is recognized as one of the "Best Lawyers in America". He has obtained significant monetary settlements and jury verdicts for his clients.
Mr. Lagnese, Mr. Berger and Mr. Paul have each been practicing law for nearly 30 years.
To talk with an attorney about your case, please call us at (412) 471-4300, toll free at (800) 350-6161 or email us.
Pittsburgh, Beaver, Uniontown, Greensburg, New Castle, Altoona, Erie, Butler, Mercer, Franklin, Allegheny, Fayette, Westmoreland, Washington, Johnstown, Lawrence, Blair, and Venango.