Firm Logo

9 Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Pennsylvania

What to do after a car accident in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania expects its drivers to act responsibly after a car accident. This means, above all, that you must not leave the scene of a crash. If you do, you are violating the law, leaving the other driver and passengers in possible danger, and exposing yourself to having your license revoked or suspended.

9 Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Pennsylvania

1. Stop your vehicle and then move as close to the accident site as possible. Try not to block traffic when you stop. And be aware of the possibility of fire from the crash.

2. Try to provide help to the other driver and passengers or pedestrians. However, do not try to move injured victims unless necessary. Call 911 if anyone reports injuries.

3. Call local police, especially if the accident is interfering with traffic or if multiple vehicles are involved.

4. Refrain from moving if you suffered an injury, unless your vehicle is blocking traffic. Wait for help.

5. Exchange information with the other driver. This includes name, address and other contact details, driver’s license number, license plates of the vehicles, and auto insurance information. Also, exchange information about the make, model, and body style of the vehicle, as well as the VIN (vehicle identification number) and a description of the damage.

6. Take photographs of the accident scene.

7. Try to find the driver if you hit an unattended car or truck. If you cannot find anyone, you must leave a note providing the required information.

8. Contact an experienced Pittsburgh car accident lawyer.

9. Report the accident to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation within five days if there was severe injurydeath, or significant damage to vehicles and other property. If the police did not investigate the accident, you still must report it. Do not agree to the other driver’s request that you not report it — you could lose your license if you fail to make a required report. In addition, even if the accident appears minor and the police do not respond, it may be in your best interests to report it — what seems to be a minor injury at the time may turn out to be more serious later on. Use form AA-600 and follow the instructions.

10. Report the accident to your insurance company.

We Have Successfully Handled Cases Like Yours