Pittsburgh Surgery Injury Lawyer
Experienced Surgical Error Lawyers Obtaining Compensation for Victims of Malpractice Throughout Western Pennsylvania
Of the various medical malpractice errors that arise from the negligence of healthcare professionals, perhaps the most dangerous are surgical errors. Surgical errors can have severe and wide-ranging effects on the patient victim’s life. Surgical intervention is not a simple matter in most cases, given that there are inherent risks to surgery. These inherent risks, however, are compounded by the negligence of those healthcare professionals involved in the surgical intervention.
Injured Due To A Surgical Error And Have Questions? We Can Help, Tell Us What Happened.
If you have suffered an injury resulting from surgical errors, Pennsylvania medical malpractice law may entitle you to compensation for your injuries. To evaluate your claim and to determine whether you may, in fact, recover damages for your injuries, contact an experienced Pittsburgh Surgery Injury Lawyer at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC, today.
Examples of Surgical Injuries & Errors
Surgical errors are best defined as errors that occur during the surgical operation phase, but that was entirely preventable. Surgical errors involve risks that are much greater than that normally associated with a particular surgery. For example, if you go in for a minor, outpatient surgical procedure and leave with a severe infection that threatens the long-term health of your organs, then it is highly likely that a surgical error has occurred.
Surgical errors include, but are not necessarily limited, to:
- Unnecessary and accidental damage caused to tissue, nerves, and/or organs
- Anesthesia-related errors
- Failure to remove all surgical equipment from the body
- Causing a serious infection
- Imprecise incisions
Common Causes of Surgical Malpractice
There are many different causes of surgical errors, but negligence committed by the treating healthcare professionals lies at the roots of nearly all of them. The most common causes of surgical errors include:
- Failure to adequately account for the risks of surgical intervention in the preoperative phase. For example, staff may not have properly assessed the patient’s medical history, which could affect the patient’s injury risks.
- Fatigue and intoxication. Healthcare professionals often have long shifts and suffer from fatigue, which they may self-treat with stimulants and other drugs. This fatigue and intoxication can heighten the risk of injury during surgical intervention.
- Improper hygiene. Infection risks are a serious concern during surgery. If the surgical staff has not maintained the instruments hygienically, then the patient could be exposed to a risk of infection.
- Incompetent personnel. Though healthcare professionals in surgery undergo a lengthy training period, some simply lack the ability to perform surgical procedures at the necessary standard.
It can be difficult to determine what initially caused the surgical error. With the help of a Pittsburgh surgery injury lawyer, however, you will be able to investigate the facts more thoroughly and recruit healthcare experts to clarify the likely causes.
Carpal Tunnel Surgical Error
Laparoscopic Inguinal Surgical Error
Contact Our Pittsburgh Surgery Injury Lawyers For A Free Consultation
Here at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC, our attorneys pride themselves not only on their decades of experience litigating medical malpractice cases, including surgical error cases but also on the successful results they’ve obtained over the course of their careers. When you work with one of the medical malpractice attorneys at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC you can rest assured that you have an experienced and skilled ally who will pursue your claims to the fullest extent.
To setup, a free consultation, call us today at 412-471-4300 or contact us through our online contact form.
Get Advice From An Experienced Medical Malpractice Lawyer. All You Have To Do Is Call 412-471-4300 To Receive Your Free Case Evaluation.