Pittsburgh Car Accident Lawyer
Personal Injury Attorneys Being Strong Advocates for the Seriously Injured Throughout Western Pennsylvania and Beyond
If you suffered a personal injury due to a car accident, you know that you are not alone. Despite safety improvements in autos and other vehicles in the past 20 years, accidents, injuries, and fatalities continue to occur. According to the United States Department of Transportation, there were 33,244 fatal motor vehicle crashes and 36,096 deaths across the U.S. in 2019. The overall fatality rate in 2019 was 12.06 deaths per 100,000 registered vehicles. The fatality rate in Pennsylvania is slightly less, or 8.3 deaths per 100,000. Nationwide, 2.6 million people are injured every year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Although many of these deaths and injuries are the result of “accidents” for which no one can be held responsible, some are caused by the negligence of others. Whether it was a DUI accident, an Uber or Lyft accident, or any other type of car accident, it is important to have a qualified Pittsburgh car accident lawyer on your side.
Injured In A Car Accident And Have Questions? We Can Help, Tell Us What Happened.
People injured in accidents caused by another’s negligence may be eligible to obtain compensation through the legal system for losses and damages. Connect with our experienced attorneys today. At the law firm of Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC, we offer a free consultation to discuss your case.
Common Causes of Negligent Car Crashes
Collisions and other accidents caused by negligent actions by other drivers could make them, their insurance companies, or other parties liable. Such actions could include:
- Driving too fast for conditions, such as rain, ice, snow, construction detours, or other circumstances that require a reduction in speed
- Violating the speed limit
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Drunk driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving a vehicle with defective components, such as brakes, seat belts, tires, and other parts
- Using mobile devices and other distractions
- Driving recklessly, such as changing lanes without signally or looking
Behaviors like these and more are important causes of vehicle accidents and could be found to be negligent.
Get Advice From An Experienced Car Accident Lawyer. All You Have To Do Is Call 412-471-4300 To Receive Your Free Case Evaluation.
Frequent Car Accident Injuries
Motor vehicle crashes often leave the injured person suffering from:
- Head and brain injuries, including those that leave permanent brain damage
- Neck, spinal cord and back injuries that could leave the injured person paralyzed
- Internal injuries to organs including injuries caused by fractured ribs that then pierce a lung or other body part
- Psychological problems
- Facial disfiguration and other skin injuries
People with such injuries often face a long road to recovery. Some may never fully recover and will require life-long assistance to function.
Costs of Serious Car Accidents
Most people have a fender-bender in the course of their driving lives. The biggest cost may be the need for a little bodywork or paint. However, serious motor vehicle crashes are quite different, leaving victims with significant expenses, including:
- Medical bills for doctor visits, hospital stays, physical therapy, surgeries, durable medical equipment and more
- Lost income because of lost work time
- Significant transportation costs if the vehicle was a total loss
- Bills for in-home care if an accident leaves the victim unable to handle aspects of daily living
- Cost of modifying home if the accident results in mobility problems
Not all victims of car accidents have each of these expenses. However, serious car crashes are costly at many levels. Getting help with these expenses can be a lifesaver.
Contact An Experienced Pittsburgh Car Accident Lawyer Today!
If you were injured in a car crash, find out about your legal options. Contact a qualified Pittsburgh car accident lawyer at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC to discuss your case now. Remember, you will owe no attorney’s fee unless we are successful.
Trusted Car Crash Injury Attorney in PA Advocates for Car Accident Victims’ Rights in Pittsburgh and Across The State
A serious car accident can put your life on hold indefinitely. Many car accident victims quickly see their bills begin to pile up while they struggle to recover physically from the crash. Speaking with an experienced Pittsburgh car accident lawyer for help recovering compensation can be critical to protecting your financial future.
The dedicated attorneys at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC have been advocating to protect car accident victims’ rights for decades. Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that you might have after a car accident. For more specific information, contact us for a free case review today. Also, check out our car accident FAQ page if you have more questions.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pittsburgh, PA Car Accident Cases
Your first priority should be to seek medical attention even if you only seem to have suffered minor injuries. It can take time for more serious injuries to present symptoms and a doctor can run tests that can protect your health. If you don’t require immediate emergency medical care, check to determine whether others involved in the accident need emergency care. Remember not to move anyone who is injured.
After helping any parties who were injured in the car accident:
– Call the police and, if you are able, explain the events leading up to the accident
– Work with the officer to complete a police report, but remember not to admit fault—after all, most car accident victims are not completely sure how the accident happened
– Obtain the insurance information and contact information of the others involved in the car accident
– Take photos or videos of the accident scene to preserve any available evidence
– Obtain the contact information of any witnesses to the car accident
Refrain from providing any statements to an insurance adjuster and do not sign any documents provided by the insurance company or other parties to the accident without first contacting a lawyer
– Speak with an experienced lawyer about getting compensation for any injuries or damage caused by the accident
Remember to refrain from posting on social media right after a car accident—even if your injuries do not seem serious, you might suffer complications later, and social media can be used to reduce your compensation award
Limited tort car insurance limits the rights of Pennsylvania car accident victims to sue for more subjective damages, like pain and suffering. However, there are several key exceptions to this general rule. If one of the following exceptions applies in your case, you may still have the right to full compensation:
– Your injuries resulted in a serious impairment of a significant bodily function, permanent disfigurement, or death
– You were on a motorcycle at the time of the crash
– You were a pedestrian hit by another motor vehicle
– You were riding as a passenger in a bus, taxi, truck or commercial vehicle
– The driver who caused the accident was issued a DUI for driving under the influence of alcohol
– The at-fault driver’s vehicle was registered in another state
Our lawyers at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC can help you determine whether you qualify under one of these exceptions. Call us today to discuss your specific case in greater detail.
Pennsylvania insurance law establishes two primary types of benefits: first party benefits and third-party benefits. Your own insurance company will pay first party benefits, including medical costs and a portion of your lost wages. Third-party benefits apply if someone else caused the accident. The at-fault driver’s insurance policy pays out additional benefits, such as the full amount of your lost wages, compensation for pain and suffering, and any medical expenses not covered under your first-party personal injury protection (PIP) coverage.
Yes. Pennsylvania follows a comparative negligence rule. If you were hurt in an accident, you can recover financial compensation as long as you were not more than 50% at fault. However, your compensation can be reduced by the percentage of fault that is assigned to you.
If your case proceeds to trial, a judge or jury will decide how much you were to blame for the accident. In negotiations with the insurance company, we work to reach a favorable agreement on your behalf. In either case, the skill of your lawyer is particularly important in these cases.We work to locate all available evidence and use that evidence to frame your case in the most favorable light possible.
Yes, you should still hire a lawyer. You should always consult with a lawyer before accepting any insurance settlement offer. It might seem easier to simply take the money and walk away, but remember that car accident victims who are represented by an experienced lawyer tend to receive much higher settlement awards. Once you have settled, you cannot go back later and ask for more if you require more extensive treatment or find you cannot return to work.
The insurance company knows that you likely do not have a way to determine whether their offer is fair. Lawyers, on the other hand, deal with insurance companies all the time. At Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC, we have helped hundreds of clients get the most possible compensation for their injuries. We can look at the offer, analyze the facts of your case and determine whether a fair offer should be higher.
Schedule a Free Case Review with the Experienced Car Accident Lawyers at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC Today
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a car accident, contacting an experienced injury lawyer is the first step to protecting your legal rights. Our experienced lawyers at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC understand how the legal system works and know how to get the most available compensation in your case. We can work with you to identify all available insurance policies—and get the evidence needed to win fair compensation for your injuries. You can call or contact our office to schedule a free case review with our lawyers anytime.