Car Accident Lawyers in Pittsburgh
Personal Injury Attorneys Being Strong Advocates for the Seriously Injured Throughout Western Pennsylvania and Beyond
If you suffered a personal injury due to a car accident, you know that you are not alone. Despite safety improvements in autos and other vehicles in the past 20 years, accidents, injuries, and fatalities continue to occur. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, there were 32,166 fatal motor vehicle crashes and 35,092 deaths in 2015. The overall fatality rate is 10.9 deaths per 100,000. The fatality rate in Pennsylvania is slightly less, or 9.4 deaths per 100,000 people. Nationwide, 2.6 million people are injured every year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Although many of these deaths and injuries are the result of “accidents” for which no one can be held responsible, some are caused by the negligence of others. Whether it was a DUI accident, an Uber or Lyft accident, or any other type of car accident, it is important to have a qualified attorney on your side. People injured in accidents caused by another’s negligence may be eligible to obtain compensation through the legal system for losses and damages. Connect with our experienced attorneys today. At the law firm of Berger Lagnese, LLC, we offer a free consultation to discuss your case.
Common Causes of Negligent Car Crashes
Collisions and other accidents caused by negligent actions by other drivers could make them, their insurance companies, or other parties liable. Such actions could include:
- Driving too fast for conditions, such as rain, ice, snow, construction detours or other circumstances that require a reduction in speed
- Violating the speed limit
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Drunk driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving a vehicle with defective components, such as brakes, seat belts, tires and other parts
- Using mobile devices and other distractions
- Driving recklessly, such as changing lanes without signally or looking
Behaviors like these and more are important causes of vehicle accidents and could be found to be negligent.
Frequent Car Accident Injuries
Motor vehicle crashes often leave the injured person suffering from:
- Head and brain injuries, including those that leave permanent brain damage
- Neck, spinal cord and back injuries that could leave the injured person paralyzed
- Internal injuries to organs including injuries caused by fractured ribs that then pierce a lung or other body part
- Psychological problems
- Facial disfiguration and other skin injuries
People with such injuries often face a long road to recovery. Some may never fully recover and will require life-long assistance to function.
Costs of Serious Car Accidents
Most people have a fender-bender in the course of their driving lives. The biggest cost may be the need for a little bodywork or paint. However, serious motor vehicle crashes are quite different, leaving victims with significant expenses, including:
- Medical bills for doctor visits, hospital stays, physical therapy, surgeries, durable medical equipment and more
- Lost income because of lost work time
- Significant transportation costs if vehicle was a total loss
- Bills for in-home care if an accident leaves the victim unable to handle aspects of daily living
- Cost of modifying home if accident results in mobility problems
Not all victims of car accidents have each of these expenses. However, serious car crashes are costly at many levels. Having help with these expenses can be a lifesaver.
Contact Our Pittsburgh Car Accident Attorneys Today!
If you were injured in a car crash, find out about your legal options. Contact the lawyers at Berger & Lagnese, LLC to discuss your case now. Remember, you will owe no attorney’s fee unless we are successful.