Firm Logo

Fender Bender: Does My Insurance Company Need To Know?

March 22, 2018

Car Accident Lawyers in Pittsburgh
The most frequent types of car accidents result in minor property damage and usually don’t involve serious injuries. These minor collisions, lightheartedly called fender benders, may scratch paint or put a dent in your car, but both parties remain uninjured. In these situations, both parties often question whether they should even report such a minor incident. One party may argue that calling law enforcement or informing your respective insurance companies is too extreme in such a minor incident. They may fear criminal punishments or an increase in their insurance rates. Their arguments for keeping the incident unreported can sound convincing, but be sure to make a determination on your own whether the incident is serious enough to report.

The most important thing to do after an accident is to exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver. Each state requires drivers to exchange this information in any kind of collision. If the other driver refuses to provide any information, then it’s time to involve local law enforcement. Additionally, if you suspect that there may be any type of injury at all, then make sure to contact the police. When you don’t report an accident, there may not be any proof that a collision even happened when injuries do surface. The other driver could deny that anything happened to avoid paying compensation.

Reporting accidents to your insurance provider are required. If you fail to alert your insurance company, then they may penalize you or deny you certain protections when the other driver files a claim against you.

At Berger & Lagnese, LLC, we advise that you always report accidents unless the incident does not involve other people and you only damage your own property. Otherwise, it’s crucial to report the incident to protect your own legal rights. Our law firm has extensive experience representing clients in personal injury cases. Contact our firm at 412-471-4300 to learn more about how we can help represent your needs in court.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.

We Have Successfully Handled Cases Like Yours