Firm Logo

Negligence At Birth: Medical Malpractice and Injury

July 11, 2019
birth injury negligence Pittsburgh, PA

Birth Injuries

For new parents, the day of a child’s birth is one of the happiest they can ever experience. They count on medical professionals to take care of both the mother and the baby, but sometimes things go terribly wrong. Injuries suffered at birth can result in permanent disability or even death, and many are preventable. So what should you do if you or your newborn suffers tragic injuries due to improper medical care? 

The Statistics

According to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the proportion of women that experience complicated birth in the United States is on the rise. In fact, the United States has the highest rate of maternal mortality in the world. The most at-risk groups for birth complications are older women, young women of color, and low-income mothers. According to the CDC, serious birth complications doubled from 1993 to 2004, resulting in an increase of life-saving blood transfusions and emergency hysterectomies. The sad thing is, most of the complications are preventable with proper care and attention. 

On the other side is what healthcare experts call a culture of intervention, where doctors induce labor or perform a C-section for their or the patient’s convenience when there is no medical necessity for it. A C-section is a surgery, after all, and comes with built-in potential complications for both mother and child. 

There are a number of scary conditions that a newborn can suffer with a lack of proper medical care. Brain damage, cerebral palsy, lack of oxygen, spinal cord injuries, and sudden infant death syndrome are just a few common childbirth injuries. A mother can suffer hemorrhaging, liver and kidney damage, amniotic fluid embolisms, and even die as a result of medical malpractice. The long term repercussions can mean high medical bills, a long and painful recovery time, necessary therapy, and possible long term care needs. 

What To Do After A Birth Injury?

If you or your child have suffered complications during or after a baby’s birth, it may be necessary to look at possible medical malpractice by your healthcare provider. Although most medical professionals will claim that a birth complication is unavoidable, you need to contact the experts to see if their care is up to the standard expected of them by the industry. The first thing to do is to contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney.

In Pennsylvania, you have two years from the onset of your injuries to file a lawsuit. With the amount of evidence and expert testimony that you might need to prove your case, it is best to contact someone you trust as soon as possible. Most attorneys will sit down with you and provide a free consultation on your case. Furthermore, many will work on a contingency basis so that your out-of-pocket legal costs are kept to a minimum. After all, you are likely to have suffered quite a bit of financial damage due to negligent medical care in the form of hospital bills, therapy and medication costs, and other accumulated bills stemming from the injuries. 

Contact a Pittsburgh Medical Malpractice Attorney for a Consultation About Your Case Today!

Were you or a loved one injured due to a birth injury in Pennsylvania? Then you need to talk to an experienced medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible for guidance on how to proceed. The medical malpractice attorneys at Berger and Lagnese are prepared to assist you with your legal claim. We represent victims of negligent surgeons, doctors, nurses, and pharmacists throughout Pennsylvania, including Pittsburgh, Johnstown, Lawrence, Blair, Venango, and the surrounding areas. Call us today at 412-471-4300 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation. Our main office is located at 310 Grant Street Suite 720, Pittsburgh, PA 15219.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.

We Have Successfully Handled Cases Like Yours