Firm Logo

Can You Sue the Federal Government?

April 26, 2018

Pittsburgh medical malpractice attorneys
When you’ve been injured as a result of the negligence of someone else, you can file a claim for compensation in civil court. It’s always important to hire an attorney to help advocate for your legal rights in court, but a lawyer is even more crucial when you are pursuing a claim against the federal government. It is possible to file a claim against the federal government under the Federal Tort Claims Act, but you’ll be expected to jump through an even greater number of hoops than you would in a claim against an individual.

Personal Injury and Federal Lawsuits

First, your negligence claim must have been committed by a federal employee during the scope of his employment to fall under the scope of the Federal Tort Claims Act. There are a number of other limitations on FTCA lawsuits that your lawyer can walk you through. Next, you’ll need to file a claim with the federal agency that was negligent. The agency will be given six months to rule on your claim. Only after you’ve gone through these administrative remedies are you eligible to finally pursue your lawsuit in court. You can’t sue for more money than you asked for in your original claim.

Contact an Experienced Pittsburgh Law Firm

Our legal professionals at Berger Lagnese & Paul, LLC understand how intimidating it can be to bring a lawsuit against the federal government. Our experienced attorneys know how to handle complex personal injury cases, and we’ve represented a wide range of clients throughout the Pennsylvania area. We are proud to provide our clients with our expertise and advocate for the best possible outcome for each case in court. Whether your claim is quickly settled or experiences a lengthy trial, we will aggressively fight for the maximum compensation that you deserve. If you’re interested in learning more about how our law firm can help you, contact us at 412-471-4300.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.

We Have Successfully Handled Cases Like Yours